High Noon Reading Fluency is a 4-level program designed to give students the extra practice they need to help build fluency in reading. Reading fluency is commonly defined as the seamless mastery of speed, accuracy and comprehension. It is a crucial benchmark that defines success in reading, and the instructional key to achieving fluency is to provide students with an abundance of reading opportunities.
Each level of High Noon Reading Fluency includes 30 fiction and nonfiction high interest/low reading level passages. Passages are approximately 250 words in length and each is followed by 5 comprehension questions and an optional writing prompt.
Students can use the program independently to build their rate and accuracy. Once they reach their target reading rate and demonstrate comprehension, they move to the next level of the program. When used with groups, the program provides opportunities for other activities that build reading fluency: modeling, choral reading and oral timed reading. These features combine to make High Noon Reading Fluency a flexible tool for fluency instruction.
- Each level has carefully controlled vocabulary.
- Fiction and nonfiction passages include a broad range of subject areas.
- Multiple-choice questions give practice in standardized test format.
- Nonconsumable books are used with the reproducible answer sheet.
- Students can track their progress in the Reading Rate Log.
Reading Levels Book B: Grade 2