Reading Comprehension Book 1 includes 31 selections in the following 7 subject areas.
A sample passage title is given for each subject area:
Social Studies - Sacajawea
Science - How Rocks are Made
Philosophy, Logic, and Language - Pandora
Combined Subjects - How Insects Communicate
Math - The History of Numerals
Literature - A Different Kind of Home
The Arts - The Art of Creating Cartoons
In each lesson, the presentation of the passage consistently follows the same 7-step format:
- About the Passage introduces the selection to the reader and activates prior knowledge
- Reason for Reading explains the reading skill emphasized
- The Selection thematically organized selections across subject matter.
- Thinking it Over lists two to three broad questions to be answered in writing
- Studying the Passage asks questions about the main idea, facts, and sequence, and asks students to draw conclusions, make assumptions, and interpret.
- Using the Words encourages students to use new vocabulary words in a paragraph
- Writing about It has students answer questions about the contents of the selection and offer their interpretation or opinion
- Story recall
- Identifying facts
- Drawing conclusions
- Vocabulary development
- Main idea
- Extending thoughts in writing