Brainspring Science of Reading
Phonics First and Structures teachers:
Complete the Arkansas Science of Reading Requirements with this two-day Brainspring class.
This class complements instructional practices learned in Phonics First Level I or Structures Level I, with an in-depth focus on the science of teaching reading to all students. This research and knowledge enhances a teachers’ ability to meet the needs of all students. The class emphasizes how the brain learns to read through both decoding skills and language comprehension. Teachers leave with a deeper understanding of how to implement effective teaching methods for teaching decoding, language comprehension and reading comprehension.
Participants learn the research and practical application of:
• Theoretical models of reading research and their impact on reading instruction
• Simple View of Reading
• Four-Part Mental Processor
• Scarborough’s Rope
• Chall’s Stages of Reading Development
• Broader phonological and phonemic awareness development models
• Permanent word storage within the brain and the impact for classroom instructional practices
• Sound walls vs. using a traditional word wall
• Orthographic Mapping and how to promote this essential skill
• Fluency in the sub-skills of phonemic awareness and phonics
• Expanded components of oral reading fluency instruction: accuracy, rate and prosody within the Phonics First® and Structures curriculum.
• Building student’s background knowledge within the classroom
• Lesson format to teach Vocabulary
• Strategies to teach the structure of the English Language
• Instructional design to promote students’ verbal reasoning and literacy knowledge
Participants leave the class with the ability to immediately apply their new knowledge through lesson-plan templates for teaching reading in line with the Arkansas Science of Reading requirements. Throughout the two days, participants will see components modeled and be able to apply what they are learning in conjunction with what they have already learned in Phonics First Level 1 or Structures Level I.
• Equipped for Reading Success (David Kilpatrick)
• Participant Notebook
Prerequisite: Completion of Phonics First® Level I or Structures Level I (Note: Phonics First® Primary and Phonics First® Kindergarten do not meet the prerequisite requirement)
Class Length: 2 Days