S.P.I.R.E.® Level 1
Scope and Sequence
- Short vowels —closed syllable, initial and medial positions a, i, o, u, e
- Consonant digraphs sh, ch, th, wh —initial and medial positions
- Welded sounds ang, ing, ong, ung, ank, ink, onk, unk
Materials for Level 1
- Student Reader includes decodable text, controlled for phonics and sight word knowledge.
- Student Workbook provides extended practice and reinforcement for the decoding and comprehension skills presented in the Reader.
- Teacher’s Guide contains scripted, explicit lessons for teaching every concept in the S.P.I.R.E. scope and sequence.
- Blackline Masters include materials for teaching Key Word Concepts, Concept Mastery Fluency Drills, and for assessing phonics skills and word identification.
- Manipulatives for Demonstration and Drill include sets of phonogram cards, letter sets, word cards, and a magnet board with magnetized Sound Circles and Syllable Rectangle for the Phoneme Segmentation activity.
- Word Cards Red, yellow and green Word Cards are color-coded to assist students and teachers in daily fluency practice. Green and yellow cards list 2 types of decodable words and red cards list frequently used non-decodable words, or sight words. (6” x 4”)