Phonics First® Primary Orton-Gillingham Course Content designed for:
K-1 General Education; K-2 Intervention, Resource, Special Education
Phonics First® Primary multisensory training encompasses the first 18 hours of the complete Level I course.
This course covers the same content as the first 18 hours of the Level I Course. It qualifies primary teachers to bring beginning-level Orton-Gillingham multisensory instruction to their classrooms. Phonics First® transforms beginning, struggling, dyslexic/LD readers into skilled learners through our effective, fun, multisensory approach to reading and spelling.
Participants learn to teach: • Alphabet and phonological awareness strategies • Basic phonetic concepts for decoding and encoding • A Three-Part Drill for structured review • Tactile/kinesthetic spelling techniques for phonetic and non-phonetic words • Oral reading/connected text fluency • Introductory Syllabication for multisyllabic words
• Guidance with lesson planning and classroom implementation
• Opportunities for hands-on lesson practice with other participants
• Emphasis on teaching reading to beginning, struggling, and dyslexic/LD readers using Orton-Gillingham methodology
• Complimentary Brainspring Members Area Access: reproducible lesson resources and activities
Upon completion, participants will:
• Receive a document of completion
• Be prepared to teach Phonics First® to K-2 students
• Be eligible for the Phonics First® Level I Completion Course
• Be eligible to purchase 1 Graduate Credit (Ashland University)
Prerequisite: None Course Hours: 18 To complete the remaining 12 hours of Level I, enroll in the Phonics First® Level I Completion course. Contact Brainspring for details: 800-732-3211