What is Orton-Gillingham? What is multisensory learning? You have questions. Brainspring has answers.
Here are the answers to some frequently asked questions about Brainspring Learning Centers and the services provided. If you have additional questions please call 800-732-3211 or contact the Brainspring team here.
What is multisensory learning?Multisensory learning is the activity involving simultaneous, multiple sensory pathways: this includes visual, auditory, tactile, and kinesthetic.
What is Orton-Gillingham?Orton-Gillingham is a multisensory learning approach often associated with one-on-one teacher to student instruction. Orton-Gillingham is best used to assist students with difficulty in reading, writing, and/or spelling, and thus can be very successful for those with dyslexia. Click here.
How long does a student need to attend tutoring?
Who will tutor my student?At Brainspring, students are paired with the same tutor each week. Tutors are selected very carefully to meet the needs of each individual student. Brainspring works with degreed professionals in teaching related fields who are highly qualified, experienced and passionate.
What types of students do you tutor?Brainspring students are of all ages and skill levels including those with or without a learning disability. Tutors are trained in successful approaches to both remediate learning difficulties and to offer enrichment to students that are not struggling.
Does the Brainspring multisensory learning approach help students with dyslexia?Yes. The Brainspring nationally accredited Phonics First® reading program is based on the Orton-Gillingham methodology and was specifically designed to address the needs of students who are dyslexic or otherwise learning disabled.
How is progress measured?Brainspring programs are designed to be diagnostic in nature. Tutors continually monitor progress through observations, skill assessment and progress reporting. Parents receive updates after every session and a more formal discussion about their child’s progress can be scheduled at any time. We also believe it is important to contact other professionals who have worked with the student, including teachers, psychologists, etc. when provided permission to do so.
How much does tutoring cost?Most Brainspring students attend tutoring 1-3 times per week. However, many other options are available. Clients are billed monthly for tutoring. There are no contracts. For those attending for remediation, we recommend a minimum of twice per week. There is a one-time registration fee, and we offer an optional assessment as well. For online students, there is a materials fee. Please contact us for pricing options.
What makes Brainspring different from other tutoring programs?
- One-on-one instruction is provided in a private setting - which is ideal for those with ADHD.
- Tutoring is available in all subject areas.
- Brainspring’s Orton-Gillingham based reading curriculum, Phonics First, is one of the few accredited programs in the United States designed specifically for dyslexic and struggling readers.
- All Brainspring tutors are degreed professionals and are required to complete a minimum of 30 hours of additional reading training in order to meet the needs of students with different learning styles.
- Multisensory teaching techniques are used; tutoring is not worksheet based.
- Brainspring works as a team. When a student begins a Brainspring program, they are not only receiving the expertise and support of the tutor, but also the Center Director and the Director of Tutoring.
- Brainspring has been serving children in the Metro Detroit area since 1991.
Can Brainspring help a student with homework?Aside from providing specialized remedial instruction, Brainspring is also able to provide homework support. Be it Algebra II or Physics, Brainspring tutors have the expertise and experience to assist in all subject areas.
Can Brainspring provide Homeschooling support?
For information about Brainspring Homeschooling support, click here.
Ready to get started??
The path to creating a master learner starts with a simple call to determine how Brainspring can help your student. Give us a call at 800-732-3211 or contact us here and we will discuss the process with you.