One of my favorites during Phonics First is lesson 2-10B, during which students are learning R-Blends! Students make a cloud to drop the graphemes br-, cr-, dr-, fr-, gr-, pr-, and tr-!
There are two variations of the activity. Either they are simply drawing or students will be cutting and gluing everything.
- Start by having students make a rain cloud on the construction paper using a marker,
- Cut it out and glue it to another paper. If you prefer to avoid cutting and gluing, draw the cloud near the top of the paper.
- Now, cut out several raindrops using more construction paper and scissors.
- Glue them below the cloud, or draw the raindrops below the cloud.
- Lastly, ask the child to point to whichever R-blend raindrop they hear as you say some words aloud.
After students recognize the R-blends said aloud, you can have them glue some more raindrops onto the paper and write words onto them during Dictation!
Tony is a Brainspring Tutor and Livestream Facilitator with Brainspring Educator Academy.
Brainspring has proudly supported the educational community for more than 25 years.