Multisensory Monday: Drip, Drop Some Blends!
Posted by Brainspring on 2nd May 2022
I love making the Multisensory Introduction activities connect to what is happening with the weather or season. It seems to make the activity extra meaningful to students!
One of my favorites during Phonics First is lesson 2-10B, during which students are learning R-Blends! Students make a cloud to drop the graphemes br-, cr-, dr-, fr-, gr-, pr-, and tr-!
There are two variations of the activity. Either they are simply drawing or students will be cutting and gluing everything.
- Start by having students make a rain cloud on the construction paper using a marker,
- Cut it out and glue it to another paper. If you prefer to avoid cutting and gluing, draw the cloud near the top of the paper.
- Now, cut out several raindrops using more construction paper and scissors.
- Glue them below the cloud, or draw the raindrops below the cloud.
- Lastly, ask the child to point to whichever R-blend raindrop they hear as you say some words aloud.
After students recognize the R-blends said aloud, you can have them glue some more raindrops onto the paper and write words onto them during Dictation!
Tony is a Brainspring Tutor and Livestream Facilitator with Brainspring Educator Academy.
Brainspring has proudly supported the educational community for more than 25 years.
Our Educator Academy provides educators in grades K-12 with comprehensive MSL Professional Development courses. Learn more about our in-person and online professional development.
The Learning Centers support students through one-on-one, multisensory tutoring sessions. Learn more about our in-person (available in Southeast Michigan) and nationwide online tutoring.