Structures® Level I - In-Person
• 4th & 5th grade: General Education (Tier 1 Small-Group Intervention – Use phonics/syllabication components; Whole Class – Use morphology components)
• 6th through 12th grade*: Special Education, intervention, resource (Tiers 2 & 3: Small group or one-on-one instruction) *Appropriate for students with dyslexia and/or learning differences whose reading skills are at or above a Grade 1 level.
This comprehensive and highly intensive course qualifies teachers to bring Orton-Gillingham multisensory instruction to their classrooms. Structures® transforms struggling, dyslexic, and learning-differenced readers into skilled learners through our effective, interactive, multisensory approach to reading and spelling.
Participants learn to teach:
• Phonological awareness strategies
• Anglo-Saxon word study of basic to advanced phonetic concepts
• Morphological study of Greek and Latin roots and affixes
• Tactile/kinesthetic spelling techniques for phonetic and non-phonetic words
• Syllabication for multisyllabic words (8 Syllable Types/3 Syllable Patterns)
• Higher-level spelling skills
• Vocabulary development
• Fluency-building strategies
• Guidance with lesson planning and classroom implementation
• Opportunities for hands-on lesson practice with other participants
• Emphasis on teaching reading to struggling readers, and students with dyslexia and learning differences using Orton-Gillingham methodology
• Complimentary Brainspring Members Area Access: reproducible lesson resources and activities
Upon completion, participants will:
• Receive a document of completion
• Be prepared to teach Structures® phonics (decoding and encoding) and morphology content to Tier 2 and 3 students in grades 6-12; 4th-5th grade Tier 1 small groups (and morphology whole class)
• Be eligible for Level II and to apply for Brainspring’s nationally recognized certification program
• Be eligible to purchase two Graduate Credits (Ashland University)
A Brainspring Instructor provides onsite professional development in your school or district. The Instructor works directly with teachers in a group setting to facilitate hands-on instruction, so each teacher has the opportunity to learn to utilize and implement the program correctly.
Course Hours: 30
Minimum Participants: 15
Contact us to set up a private course for your school/district or to discuss your state's requirements for dyslexia and other literacy initiatives.