Structures® Level I - Self-Paced
• 4th & 5th grade: General Education (Tier 1 Small-Group Intervention – Use phonics/syllabication components; Whole Class – Use morphology components)
• 6th through 12th grade*: Special Education, intervention, resource (Tiers 2 & 3: Small group or one-on-one instruction) *Appropriate for students with dyslexia and/or learning differences whose reading skills are at or above a Grade 1 level.
This comprehensive and highly intensive course qualifies teachers to bring Orton-Gillingham multisensory instruction to their classrooms. Structures® transforms struggling, dyslexic, and learning-differenced readers into skilled learners through our effective, interactive, multisensory approach to reading and spelling.
The Structures® Level I Self-Paced course covers all the multisensory training content of the in-person course in an interactive and flexible online format. Teachers will actively participate in learning modules and connect with Instructors as they learn how to effectively incorporate Orton-Gillingham instruction into their classrooms or small-groups.
Participants learn to teach:
• Phonological awareness strategies
• Anglo-Saxon word study of basic to advanced phonetic concepts
• Morphological study of Greek and Latin roots and affixes
• Tactile/kinesthetic spelling techniques for phonetic and non-phonetic words
• Syllabication for multisyllabic words (8 Syllable Types/3 Syllable Patterns)
• Higher-level spelling skills
• Vocabulary development
• Fluency-building strategies
• Guidance with lesson planning and classroom implementation
• Opportunities for hands-on lesson practice with other participants
• Emphasis on teaching reading to struggling readers, and students with dyslexia and learning differences using Orton-Gillingham methodology
• Complimentary Brainspring Members Area Access: reproducible lesson resources and activities
Upon completion, participants will:
• Receive a document of completion
• Be prepared to teach Structures® phonics (decoding and encoding) and morphology content to Tier 2 and 3 students in grades 6-12; 4th-5th grade Tier 1 small groups (and morphology whole class)
• Be eligible for Level II and to apply for Brainspring’s nationally recognized certification program
• Be eligible to purchase two Graduate Credits (Ashland University)
Course Hours: 30-32
Self-paced professional development allows educators to receive training on their own schedule (within established start and end dates). To promote fidelity, course information is easy to engage with through built-in interactions, activities, and practice assignments with personalized feedback. Our Instructors are available to answer questions via email.
All Self-Paced Online Professional Development courses are released on a biweekly schedule. Participants have 45 days to complete the course.
Contact us to set up a private course for your school/district or to discuss your state's requirements for dyslexia and other literacy initiatives.