Phonics First® Level I
Phonics First® Level I Orton-Gillingham E-Learning Course Content
K-5 General Education*, Intervention, Resource, Special Education
* Classroom intervention instruction for grades 4-5
The Phonics First® Level I E-Learning course covers all the content of the in-person course in an interactive and flexible online format. Phonics First® transforms beginning, struggling, dyslexic/LD readers into skilled learners through our effective, fun, multisensory approach to reading and spelling. Teachers will actively participate in learning modules and connect with Phonics First® Instructors as they learn how to effectively incorporate Orton-Gillingham instruction into their classrooms or small-groups.
Participants learn to teach:
• Alphabet and phonemic awareness strategies
• Basic and advanced phonetic concepts for decoding and encoding
• A Three-Part Drill for structured review
• Tactile/kinesthetic spelling techniques for phonetic and non-phonetic words
• Syllabication for multisyllabic words (8 Syllable Types/3 Syllable Patterns)
• Oral reading/connected text fluency
• Higher-level spelling skills
• Guidance with lesson planning and classroom implementation
• Emphasis on teaching reading to beginning, struggling, and dyslexic/learning disabled readers using Orton-Gillingham methodology
• Complimentary Brainspring Members Area Access: reproducible lesson resources and activities
Upon completion, participants will:
• Receive a document of completion
• Be prepared to teach Phonics First® to K-5 students
Benefits of E-Learning
- Engage with the content. Specifically developed for the online learning environment, this course is much more than a series of video lectures. You’ll be actively involved in learning through built-in interactions, activities and practice assignments.
- Get guidance from an expert. Phonics First® Instructors are there to guide you through the course, answering questions and providing personalized feedback to assignments.
- Fit learning into your schedule. You can access course content and complete assignments when it’s convenient for you.
- Track your progress. With built-in activities like Knowledge Checks, discussions and quizzes, it’s easy to know that you’re on the right track to learning the lesson content, processes and strategies.
- Access a variety of resources. In addition to the standard course content, you’ll find a library of resources developed to support you during and after the course, as well as optional resources to dig deeper into topics of interest. Lesson notes, Checklists, video demonstrations and printable activities are just a few of the tools you’ll find throughout the course.
E-Learning Course Hours: 30