Phonics First® Level I - Self-Paced
• Kindergarten through 3rd grade: General Education (Tier 1: Small group)
• 4-th & 5th grade: General Education (Tier 1: Small group)
• Kindergarten through 5th grade: Special Education, intervention, resource (Tiers 2 & 3: Small group or one-on-one)
This comprehensive and highly intensive course qualifies teachers to bring Orton-Gillingham multisensory instruction to their classrooms. Phonics First® transforms beginning, struggling, at-risk readers, and students with dyslexia and learning differences into skilled learners through our effective, fun, multisensory approach to reading and spelling.
The Phonics First® Level I Self-Paced course covers all the multisensory training content of the in-person course in an interactive and flexible online format. Teachers will actively participate in learning modules and connect with Phonics First® Instructors as they learn how to effectively incorporate Orton-Gillingham instruction into their classrooms or small-groups.
Participants learn to teach:
• Alphabet and phonological awareness strategies
• Basic and advanced phonetic concepts for decoding and encoding
• A Three-Part Drill for structured review
• Tactile/kinesthetic spelling techniques for phonetic and non-phonetic words
• Syllabication for multisyllabic words (8 Syllable Types/3 Syllable Patterns)
• Higher-level spelling skills
• Oral reading/connected text fluency
• Guidance with lesson planning and classroom implementation
• Opportunities for hands-on lesson practice with other participants
• Emphasis on teaching reading to beginning, struggling, at-risk readers, and students with dyslexia and learning differences using Orton-Gillingham methodology
• Complimentary Brainspring Members Area Access: reproducible lesson resources and activities
Upon completion, participants will:
• Receive a document of completion
• Be prepared to teach Phonics First® phonics (decoding and encoding) content to kindergarten through 5th grade students at all Tiers
• Be eligible for Level II and to apply for Brainspring’s nationally recognized certification program
• Be eligible to purchase two Graduate Credits (Ashland University)
Course Hours: 30-32
Self-paced professional development allows educators to receive training on their own schedule (within established start and end dates). To promote fidelity, course information is easy to engage with through built-in interactions, activities, and practice assignments with personalized feedback. Our Instructors are available to answer questions via email.
All Self-Paced Online Professional Development courses are released on a biweekly schedule. Participants have 45 days to complete the course.
Contact us to discuss your state requirements for dyslexia and other literacy initiatives.
Contact us to set up a private course for your school/district or to discuss your state's requirements for dyslexia and other literacy initiatives.