Phonics First® Level I - Hybrid
• Kindergarten through 3rd grade: General Education (Tier 1: Small group)
• 4-th & 5th grade: General Education (Tier 1: Small group)
• Kindergarten through 5th grade: Special Education, intervention, resource (Tiers 2 & 3: Small group or one-on-one)
This comprehensive and highly intensive course qualifies teachers to bring Orton-Gillingham multisensory instruction to their classrooms. Phonics First® transforms beginning, struggling, at-risk readers, and students with dyslexia and learning differences into skilled learners through our effective, fun, multisensory approach to reading and spelling.
Participants attend the first 18 course hours in the Livestream format on three consecutive days, then and complete the final 12 hours in the Self-Paced format.
Livestream: A Brainspring Instructor teaches this course live in real time via Zoom (access and use details are provided upon registration). Participants log in on each course date and time to participate. Courses allow for interaction with the instructor and other course participants to retain the hands-on learning approach. Course sessions also include small-group discussions, practice sessions, and question and answer opportunities.
Self-Paced: The content is taught in an interactive and flexible online format. Teachers will actively participate in learning modules and connect with Phonics First® Instructors as they learn how to effectively incorporate Orton-Gillingham instruction into their classrooms or small-groups. You will be assigned a start date for the self-paced component and have 45 days to complete it. See the Schedule tab for details.
Participants learn to teach:
• Alphabet and phonological awareness strategies
• Basic and advanced phonetic concepts for decoding and encoding
• A Three-Part Drill for structured review
• Tactile/kinesthetic spelling techniques for phonetic and non-phonetic words
• Syllabication for multisyllabic words (8 Syllable Types/3 Syllable Patterns)
• Higher-level spelling skills
• Oral reading/connected text fluency
• Guidance with lesson planning and classroom implementation
• Opportunities for hands-on lesson practice with other participants
• Emphasis on teaching reading to beginning, struggling, at-risk readers, and students with dyslexia and learning differences using Orton-Gillingham methodology
• Complimentary Brainspring Members Area Access: reproducible lesson resources and activities
Upon completion, participants will:
• Receive a document of completion
• Be prepared to teach Phonics First® phonics (decoding and encoding) content to kindergarten through 5th grade students at all Tiers
• Be eligible for Level II and to apply for Brainspring’s nationally recognized certification program
• Be eligible to purchase two Graduate Credits (Ashland University)
Course Hours: Livestream 18 hours (over 3 consecutive days); Self-Paced 12-14 hours
Contact us to set up a private course for your school/district or to discuss your state's requirements for dyslexia and other literacy initiatives.