Phonics First® Primary - Self-Paced
• Kindergarten through 1st grade: General Education (Tier 1: Whole class or small group)
• Kindergarten through 1st grade Special Education, intervention, resource (Tier 2 & 3: Small group or one-on-one)
This course qualifies teachers to bring beginning-level Orton-Gillingham multisensory instruction to their classrooms. Phonics First® transforms beginning, struggling, at-risk readers, and students with dyslexia and learning differences into skilled learners through our effective, fun, multisensory approach to reading and spelling. To complete the remaining 12 hours of Level I, enroll in the Phonics First® Level I Completion course. Contact our Partnerships team for details: 844-680-7094.
The Phonics First® Primary Self-Paced course covers all the multisensory training content of the in-person course in an interactive and flexible online format. Teachers will actively participate in learning modules and connect with Phonics First® Instructors as they learn how to effectively incorporate Orton-Gillingham instruction into their classrooms or small-groups.
Participants learn to teach:
• Alphabet and phonological awareness strategies
• Basic phonetic concepts for decoding and encoding
• A Three-Part Drill for structured review
• Tactile/kinesthetic spelling techniques for phonetic and non-phonetic words
• Beginning oral reading/connected text fluency
• Introductory Syllabication for multisyllabic words
• Guidance with lesson planning and classroom implementation
• Opportunities for hands-on lesson practice with other participants
• Emphasis on teaching reading tobeginning, struggling, at-risk readers, and students with dyslexia and learning differences using Orton-Gillingham methodology
• Complimentary Brainspring Members Area Access: reproducible lesson resources and activities
Upon completion, participants will:
• Receive a document of completion
• Be prepared to teach Phonics First® to students in Kindergarten through 1st Grade
• Be eligible for the Phonics First® Level I Completion Course
• Be eligible to purchase one Graduate Credit (Ashland University)
Course Hours: 18-20
All Self-Paced Online Professional Development courses are released on a biweekly schedule. Participants have 45 days to complete the course.
Self-paced professional development allows educators to receive training on their own schedule (within established start and end dates). To promote fidelity, course information is easy to engage with through built-in interactions, activities, and practice assignments with personalized feedback. Our Instructors are available to answer questions via email.
Contact us to set up a private course for your school/district or to discuss your state's requirements for dyslexia and other literacy initiatives.
- Phonics First® Curriculum Guide
- Phonics First® Course Manual
- Phonics First® Classroom Card Pack
- Phonics First® Lesson Strategy Cards
- Phonics First® Syllabication Cards
- 1 Pound Magic Sand®
- 1 Sand Tray with Sand Tray Bag
- 1 Answer Board, Marker, and Eraser
- 1 Box of Red Crayons
- 1 Red Word Screen