Course Hours: 30
4th & 5th grade: General Education (Tier I Small-Group Intervention – Use phonics/syllabication components; Whole Class – Use morphology components)
6th through 12th grade*: Special Education, Intervention, Resource (Tiers 2 & 3: Small group or one-on-one instruction)
*Appropriate for students with dyslexia and/or learning disabilities whose reading skills are at or above a 1st grade level
This comprehensive and highly intensive multisensory training course qualifies teachers to bring Orton-Gillingham multisensory instruction to their intervention and remedial classrooms. Structures transforms students with dyslexia and learning disabilities into skilled learners through its effective, interactive, multisensory approach to reading and spelling.
A Brainspring Instructor teaches this course live in real time via Zoom (access and use details are provided upon registration). Participants log in on each course date and time to participate. Courses allow for interaction with the Instructor and other course participants in order to retain the hands-on learning approach. Course sessions also include small-group discussions, practice sessions, and question and answer opportunities.
Participants Learn to Teach:
• Anglo-Saxon word study of basic to advanced phonetic concepts
• Morphological study of Greek and Latin roots and affixes
• A Three-Part Drill for structured review
• Tactile/kinesthetic spelling techniques for phonetic and non-phonetic words
• Syllabication for multisyllabic words (8 Syllable Types/3 Syllable Patterns)
• Higher-level spelling skills
• Vocabulary development
• Fluency-building strategies
• Introductory comprehension techniques
• Guidance for lesson plans and classroom implementation
• Opportunities for hands-on lesson practice with other participants
• Emphasis on teaching reading to struggling readers, and students with dyslexia and/or
learning disabilities using Orton-Gillingham methodology
• Complimentary Brainspring Members Area Access: reproducible lesson resources and activities
Upon Completion, Participants Will:
• Receive a document of completion
• Be prepared to teach all Structures® phonics (decoding and encoding) content to general education students in grades 4 & 5 and Tier II and III students in grades 6-12.
• Be eligible to attend Level II and to apply for Brainspring’s nationally recognized certification program
• Be eligible to purchase 2 Graduate Credits (Ashland University)
Contact us to set up a private livestream for your school/district or to discuss your state's requirements for dyslexia and other literacy initiatives.