Structures® Level I - Livestream
• 4th & 5th grade: General Education (Tier 1 Small-Group Intervention – Use phonics/syllabication components; Whole Class – Use morphology components)
• 6th through 12th grade*: Special Education, intervention, resource (Tiers 2 & 3: Small group or one-on-one instruction) *Appropriate for students with dyslexia and/or learning differences whose reading skills are at or above a Grade 1 level.
This comprehensive and highly intensive course qualifies teachers to bring Orton-Gillingham multisensory instruction to their classrooms. Structures® transforms struggling, dyslexic, and learning-differenced readers into skilled learners through our effective, interactive, multisensory approach to reading and spelling.
A Brainspring Instructor teaches this course live in real time via Zoom (access and use details are provided upon registration). Participants log in on each course date and time to participate. Courses allow for interaction with the Instructor and other course participants in order to retain the hands-on learning approach. Course sessions also include small-group discussions, practice sessions, and question and answer opportunities.
Participants learn to teach:
• Phonological awareness strategies
• Anglo-Saxon word study of basic to advanced phonetic concepts
• Morphological study of Greek and Latin roots and affixes
• Tactile/kinesthetic spelling techniques for phonetic and non-phonetic words
• Syllabication for multisyllabic words (8 Syllable Types/3 Syllable Patterns)
• Higher-level spelling skills
• Vocabulary development
• Fluency-building strategies
• Guidance with lesson planning and classroom implementation
• Opportunities for hands-on lesson practice with other participants
• Emphasis on teaching reading to struggling readers, and students with dyslexia and learning differences using Orton-Gillingham methodology
• Complimentary Brainspring Members Area Access: reproducible lesson resources and activities
Upon completion, participants will:
• Receive a document of completion
• Be prepared to teach Structures® phonics (decoding and encoding) and morphology content to Tier 2 and 3 students in grades 6-12; 4th-5th grade Tier 1 small groups (and morphology whole class)
• Be eligible for Level II and to apply for Brainspring’s nationally recognized certification program
• Be eligible to purchase two Graduate Credits (Ashland University)
Course Hours: 30
Contact us to set up a private course for your school/district or to discuss your state's requirements for dyslexia and other literacy initiatives.