Phonics First® Level I Orton-Gillingham Livestream
Kindergarten through 3rd Grade general education (Tier 1 whole class/small group)
4th through 5th Grade general education (Tier 1 small group)
Kindergarten through 5th Grade special education, intervention, resource (Tier 2,3)
A Brainspring Instructor teaches this course live in real time via Zoom (access and use details are provided upon registration). Participants log in on each course date and time to participate. Courses allow for interaction with the Instructor and other course participants in order to retain the hands-on learning approach. Course sessions also include small-group discussions, practice sessions, and question and answer opportunities.
Please contact our Partnerships team if you are interested in a private livestream course for your school or district.
This comprehensive and highly intensive multisensory training course qualifies teachers to bring Orton-Gillingham instruction into their classrooms. Phonics First® transforms beginning, struggling, dyslexic and learning disabled students into skilled learners through its effective, fun, multisensory approach to reading and spelling.
Participants learn to teach:
- Alphabet and phonemic awareness strategies
- Basic and advanced phonetic concepts for decoding and encoding
- A Three-Part Drill for structured review
- Tactile/kinesthetic spelling techniques for phonetic and non-phonetic words
- Syllabication for multisyllabic words (8 Syllable Types/3 Syllable Patterns)
- Higher-level spelling skills
- Oral reading/connected text fluency
- Guidance with lesson planning and classroom implementation
- Opportunities for hands-on lesson practice with other participants
- Emphasis on teaching reading to beginning, struggling, dyslexic and learning disabled students using Orton-Gillingham methodology
- Complimentary Brainspring Members Area Access: reproducible lesson resources and activities
Upon completion, participants will:
- Receive a document of completion
- Be prepared to teach all Phonics First® phonics (decoding and encoding) content to students in kindergarten through 5th grade at all Tiers
- Be eligible for Level II and to apply for Brainspring’s nationally recognized certification program
- Be eligible to purchase 2 Graduate Credits (Ashland University)
Course Hours: 30
Contact us to set up a private livestream for your school/district or to discuss your state's requirements for dyslexia and other literacy initiatives.